HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
New Issue: Vol 8, No 1
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ecosse64  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2011 12:13:56(UTC)
Ecosse64

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It seems that Naim have discontinued the CDS3; still an MC favourite, I understand.

Not heard one myself; not being a particular fan of modern Naim compared to old, I never bothered trying it.

Is this another sign of computer audio etc. taking over? Sad

Edited by user 04 December 2011 12:14:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline darkmatter  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2011 14:25:32(UTC)
darkmatter

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Ecosse64 wrote:
It seems that Naim have discontinued the CDS3; still an MC favourite, I understand.

Not heard one myself; not being a particular fan of modern Naim compared to old, I never bothered trying it.

Sad news this is an excellent player, mech availability?
Offline Ecosse64  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2011 00:44:46(UTC)
Ecosse64

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
darkmatter wrote:
Ecosse64 wrote:

No, AFAIK, it's a purely commercial decision - not selling enough of them to justify buying key components, which suggests that their other players will follow suit, if their sales drop below a critical point? I believe they have sufficient mechs for servicing, but don't quote me on that!

For me, the sensible way to play CDs is on a CD player - ripping them to a streaming device (digital player? whatever they're called!) is a nonsense, unless you only own, say, 10 CDs, or so.

Oh well, if CD players are on the way out, it's just another reason to get back into vinyl, which is vastly superior anyway!

I'm going OT, now, but I hope Critic will address the analogue/digital (im)balance in 2012, which was heavily skewed in favour of the dark side, sorry, digital, in 2011! Sad ThumbDown

Edited by user 05 December 2011 00:49:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kengale  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2011 10:59:44(UTC)
kengale

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ecosse64 wrote:
darkmatter wrote:
Ecosse64 wrote:

No, AFAIK, it's a purely commercial decision - not selling enough of them to justify buying key components, which suggests that their other players will follow suit, if their sales drop below a critical point? I believe they have sufficient mechs for servicing, but don't quote me on that!

For me, the sensible way to play CDs is on a CD player - ripping them to a streaming device (digital player? whatever they're called!) is a nonsense, unless you only own, say, 10 CDs, or so.

Oh well, if CD players are on the way out, it's just another reason to get back into vinyl, which is vastly superior anyway!

I'm going OT, now, but I hope Critic will address the analogue/digital (im)balance in 2012, which was heavily skewed in favour of the dark side, sorry, digital, in 2011! Sad ThumbDown

Some (most? I haven't looked recently) DVD players will play CD's as well, and if you choose one with an SPDIF output you can use a decent DAC for the audio.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2011 12:24:34(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Few dvd/Blu players have good enough SPDIF for audiophile use

and yes our DACS used to assess them have excellent jitter rejection ............

Naim have kept spare transports for a decent number of years for every player they have sold for years now to aid servicing

Production parts for the CDS3 have eventually ceased.

I am pretty sure they have another up their sleeve for this important price point , but the lure of net audio ? who knows

For years now Naim CD players have been distinguished by a universal appeal , high end audio and NAIMaholics alike

Why else would I have used one for so long ?

Martin C

Offline Matt  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2011 16:13:46(UTC)
Matt

It would be interesting if manufacturers started to build wireless streaming into CD players so they could play cd's or play music streamed from a computer.

Or maybe they could just build a hard drive into cd players so that cd collections could be permanently stored in the player.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2011 18:33:10(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
there are net connectible players

and several ripping players for general purpose , eg the Brennan

MC