HIFICRITIC audio review magazine
HIFICRITIC FORUMS
New Issue: Vol 8, No 1
HIFICRITIC
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ashandger  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2012 15:06:25(UTC)
ashandger

Just discovered that Avalon are launching their new flagship speaker in Jan 2013 called the Tesseract.
The article on their website may be of interest to folks on this forum.

No photos yet though but I would expect finish to be very high as always with their products!
Regards,

Ash

http://www.avalonacousti...CT%20WEB%20STATEMENT.PDF

(MC)

Edited by moderator 04 December 2012 18:30:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2012 18:42:13(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I read it once a few weeks ago....

I found it a conflicted mix of interesting fact and the inevitable marketing hyperbole.

A decent White Paper would suit me.

I am still dissecting it in my mind to seek out the technologies and ideas which have driven this flagship project.

From one viewpoint it clearly strives to be the ultimate stereo transducer, perfecting stereo images.

Phase continuity and coherence are paramount and great efforts have been made to control phase and wavefronts arriving at the listener.

The older flagship Osiris set high standards in its time, I still remember the shock when I saw the crossovers for this speaker,
coffin sized enclosures at the back , larger than many complete floor standing speakers.

We have reviewed a smaller Avalon in the upcoming issue Vol6 no 4.

Martin Colloms

Edited by user 06 December 2012 10:24:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2012 10:23:45(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Tesseract : 5 dimension hypercube

a video realisation at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4P65EKjt0 number 5 in the series of visualisations

System design objective, like stealth radar profiles , to reduce the acoustic signature, including reflected images,

of the physical enclosure in the room sound field.

and $300,000 projected price per pair.

MartinC
Offline jostber  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2012 18:01:04(UTC)
jostber

Will be interesting to see what the "stealth cabinet structure" looks like.

Offline ashleym  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2012 22:05:28(UTC)
ashleym

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jostber Go to Quoted Post
Will be interesting to see what the "stealth cabinet structure" looks like.

Possibly a development of the facetted shapes we have been seeing from Avalon. But I also hope it is the insides that are interesting and are a development (they should be at £300K) from what we have seen before. No sonic signature?
Offline Martin Colloms  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2012 07:55:18(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Off the top of my head the sphere takes some beating as the reflected image is reduced to a point

MartinC
Offline Martin Colloms  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2012 12:55:58(UTC)
Martin Colloms

any thoughts about the cost of the Avalon Tesseract and for that matter the Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF ?

Martin
Offline Pete_w  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2012 15:15:45(UTC)
Pete_w

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Martin Colloms Go to Quoted Post
any thoughts about the cost of the Avalon Tesseract and for that matter the Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF ?

Well, go on, hit us with some numbers then. In particular, hit us with the over-the-counter prices in both UK and US...LOL

Offline Martin Colloms  
#9 Posted : 14 December 2012 16:31:24(UTC)
Martin Colloms

quarter of a million ,

dollars or pounds

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Offline Pete_w  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2012 23:01:19(UTC)
Pete_w

quarter of a million , dollars or pounds

Ok. So before the howls of anguish start, it's been my (very limited) experience that US prices are usually quoted *before* the local state sales tax, whereas UK prices are quoted with our 20% VAT included. Can any US resident confirm that that's likely to be the case here? So if we back out the VAT, then the UK pre-tax sale price becomes £208,000. GBP1.00 is approximately USD1.6, so USD250k "ought" to be GBP156k. So it's £50k more over here than over there. On the other hand, anyone buying them is giving over £40,000 to our government in VAT already, so why not give some to Ricardo too? :-)

Oh, sorry, are we supposed to be commenting on value for money? :-) Value for money depends on how you value your money, doesn't it? I remember reading a car review once - for a Bentley, I think it was - and the journalist was attempting to address the v-f-m question with the manufacturer's marketing bod. What are the competing cars, he asked. Wrong question, said the marketing bloke, anyone buying this has probably already got the Merc, the Ferrari, the Porsche. He's buying it simply 'cos he wants one, we're competing for his money against a light helicopter, or a yacht, not against another car. The target market for this stuff is not people who save for years to finally buy it...

Value for money as hifi? Let's see, are these speakers 166 times better than my secondhand 'logans? (£1500 to save you reaching for the calculator). I suspect not. And my wife will let the 'logans in the living room, whereas I'd be trying to set the XLFs up in the garden shed :-(. I can't speak for the Tesseract - Google hasn't obliged me with an image - but the Wilsons have this sort of macho look-at-me loadsa-money new-brutalism "styling" that seems to be trying to say far more about the size of the purchaser's wallet (& manhood) than it does about his sense of taste or style. But that's just my opinion, and I'm emphatically not the target market...

Offline paskinn  
#11 Posted : 17 December 2012 14:29:30(UTC)
paskinn

I'm not the target audience either...but who wants these monstrosities? It certainly is not about delivering excellent sound, more about pure showing off. Ugh.
Offline Togil  
#12 Posted : 17 December 2012 16:06:11(UTC)
Togil

I heard the XLF in London, I also like my MLs better ..
Hans
Offline Martin Colloms  
#13 Posted : 17 December 2012 20:07:14(UTC)
Martin Colloms

lets not start that knocking importers thread again

how many have gone broke in the last few years leaving customers without support and heavily degraded resale value for their product lines ?

Give credit to those that install correctly at customers houses and have a experienced repair shop .......

MartinC
Offline hifistan  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2012 00:32:39(UTC)
hifistan

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The weight of the new Wilson's is as daunting as the price; 655 lb. each I believe with a shipping weight of just under one ton for the pair. My next pair of speakers is going to be the Event Opals; I will still be able to lift them in 10 years. I thought the Absolute Sound review of the Wilson gave their price as $200,000; could have been $220,000 but the former stuck in my mind. Didn't really pay that much attention as there is no chance of me ever buying them. I noted that they had switched to a silk dome tweeter.
Offline phil page  
#15 Posted : 18 December 2012 02:23:28(UTC)
phil page

United Kingdom

Is there really a target audience in mind, who might buy these things? It must be pretty small. Aren't they really statement products rather than real commercial propositions? Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1 etc.
Phil
Offline Pete_w  
#16 Posted : 18 December 2012 12:44:24(UTC)
Pete_w

lets not start that knocking importers thread again

how many have gone broke in the last few years leaving customers without support and heavily degraded resale value for their product lines ?

Give credit to those that install correctly at customers houses and have a experienced repair shop .......

Wasn't intending to start that debate, Martin, I was just doing the maths. Customer service costs money. My personal dealings, small as they are, with Ricardo, have been excellent - one of his "prestigious" dealers (no names, no pack drill...) was basically being dishonest and trying to defraud me, simply through greed. A phone call from me to Ricardo - in fact just to check parts availability and pricing, as AS were being blamed by this dealer for their inability to deliver my components - and it was all sorted out. Full marks. To Ricardo, not to his dealer.
Offline Martin Colloms  
#17 Posted : 18 December 2012 17:44:09(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Europe sales maybe 10 to 30 pairs of these for such a major brand

Such beasts have been sold to successful musicians and conductors , and a really competent demonstration is required to convince

there are a number of genuine millionaire hi fi enthusiasts who will enjoy both the Hi End and a Ferrari

OK for some !

At least I get to try some of them out ...........

BTW I think the Alexandria XLF is more credible than a luxury double bath carved from solid marble

MartinC

Edited by user 21 December 2012 13:09:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Martin Colloms  
#18 Posted : 21 December 2012 13:13:30(UTC)
Martin Colloms

Stealth ???

a near vanishing reflection signature

if made of panels , multi-faceted, multiple facet sizes and angles

lots of mileage for veneer craftsmanship

Perhaps the familiar Avalon anti diffraction anti reflection front contours,

now extended over all loudspeaker enclosure surfaces

Martin Colloms
Offline darkmatter  
#19 Posted : 22 December 2012 16:32:20(UTC)
darkmatter

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Following this with interest as with any top end speaker design Smile
Offline Cemil  
#20 Posted : 26 December 2012 16:08:24(UTC)
Cemil

Originally Posted by: phil page Go to Quoted Post
Is there really a target audience in mind, who might buy these things? It must be pretty small. Aren't they really statement products rather than real commercial propositions? Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1 etc.

Well, my hifi costs way more than my car, as it should be :)

I think the high or very high end must be reasonably healthy - the amount of product at very high prices is increasing all the time, I would therefore presume there is a market for them. The Far East is very much into VERY expensive gear. Definitely, some are in it for 'showoff' reasons, but the eqpt manufacturer doesn't really care. It must be the middle ground in hifi that is becoming decimated.